Monday 9 June 2014

Who Is Pompi? #CTA101


















Listen/Download - GO feat. Abel Chungu, Mag44, Tio and Seya
Listen/Download - Giant Killer
Listen/Download - No Rent feat. Mag44
Listen/Download - Packaging 

At the recently concluded 2014 Groove Awards the Southern Africa Artist Of The Year went to Pompi. A Zambian artists and member of the Gospel movement that is "Lota House". Now I know a whole bunch of people have no idea who this brother is... so I thought it best to Repost this... #BeInspired 



Who is Pompi?My real names are Chaka Nyathando and home for me is a city called Lusaka in Zambia, and I am 27 years young. I started my music career when I was sixteen as a circular artist and my music penetrated an Africa wide market before I was born again and changed my direction, dropped the Nigerian label that I was with, and founded a ministry called Lota House. Currently I am a three-time Zambia Music Award winner for “Best Gospel Artist”. Lota means dream so the interpretation of the name would be” House of dreamers”. Later on a partnership with artists Chungu, Tio and Mag44 make a team that spreads the Gospel to different demographics of people in different countries within Africa.

I am also a Global Shaper under the World Economic Forum, Business Systems Honors Graduate and Creative Director in my company called Atmosphere Enterprises. I will be investing heavily in creating broadcasting platforms that through their content will mold a Christ centred culture. The company also has a focus to create solutions that make people’s lives better, and we recently launched a Job Portal called Kokoliko.net

















Who are your musical influences?I have always loved lyrics and so my biggest influencer to my music I would have to say are artists like Nas, Common, Roots, Method man and a lot of dancehall and reggae. That’s the only world of music I knew. By the time I was born again Kirk Franklin was the only artist I knew, but I was then later exposed to people like Mali Music (Who is my favourite artist), Da Truth, Sho Baraka, dwayne tryumf, Hillsong and Jesus Culture. I also listen to artists like John Mayer, India arie, Tarrus Riley and Lauryn Hill who are not neccesarily classified as Gospel but are positive.

How would you describe your music?I would describe my music as fusion of many genres of music but the elements of soul, jazz and reggae are usually predominant.


What is the industry atmosphere for Christian artist in Zambia and Africa? How is your music accepted in mainstream circles?Lota House houses 3 of the highest selling artists in Zambia but it has not been easy. Zambia is a Christian nation and previously had a very religious foundation but myself and the other Lotahouse artists have seen to it that the very Judgemental and holier than thou attitude is changed because it cripples the Gospel. We perform on both Christian and so called “Circular” platforms but we prefer the Darkness coss that’s the kingdom we are to subdue and take our light to. We where criticized heavily for that move but our message has been understood and the atmosphere has changed. The moment we are too embarrassed to been seen standing with a prostitute is the day that we make love conditional which is not what we are taught.




















Lota House is becoming a very recognizable name in Africa. What is success for you and your contemporaries?The definition of success for us is making a living off our God given gifts and creating a better life for others. God has done amazing works for us and our faith in the power of music has given us a desire to disciples out of our fans in every country so Africa and the world eventually shall be saved.


Do you desire for your music to reach the western world?Yes, we do. As underdogs we aim to inspire Africans that they can create material that is of a high standard even in the western world. Africa has a consumer economy, thus the poverty, so I feel we need to also sell our gifts to the world.


Your music is a wonderful blend of politics and spiritual maturity. Why is that important to you?Africa has many problems and most of them are in the mind. We are rich in resources yet we are poor. We will never elect good leaders until we can recognize what a good leader is. I speak in a very Spiritual context because the natural comes from the womb of the supernatural. Music speaks directly to spirit and the mind so having that powers gives you the ability to speak change through lyrics.


What’s next for Pompi?I am starting a foundation where I will sponsoring kids to go to school but also mentor them. I aim to support 3000 children who will be an additional 3000 to our African Leaders.

Listen/Download - GO feat. Abel Chungu, Mag44, Tio and Seya
Listen/Download - Giant Killer
Listen/Download - No Rent feat. Mag44
Listen/Download - Packaging 

No comments:

Post a Comment