Sunday 15 June 2014

One-On-One With Pitson of "Lingala Ya Yesu" #CTA101


Lots of people didn’t know you until early this year…
Very true. But I have been singing for quite a while, mostly as a back-up singer for almost 10 years.

So you did not just pop out of nowhere with a hit song?
Not really. I have had a hit before actually so I’m not new in the gospel music industry.

Which hit are you talking about?Those who listen to gospel music know a song called Wanajua, which was a collabo I did with MwenyeHaki. I have also done quite a number of songs too. I have one album and I’m now working on the second one.









Have you been a solo artiste all along?
No, I was in a group called Brothers Under God’s Grace, together with five other friends. But I think I’m the only one who is still in music so far.

This group never made any inroads at all, did it?
No, I think our priorities were wrong. We would record a song and once it got airplay in one of the gospel stations, that was it — we did nothing else to push the song as we felt we had made it.

Were you relying on music for survival?We would survive with whatever we got but we were not really hungry to get more.

(Pitson Acceptance Speech - Groove Awards 2014 Song Of The Year)

Okay, tell me a little bit of your background...I was born and raised in Nairobi’s Eastleigh estate. We shared a small single room with my parents and two siblings for as long as I can remember. Life was very harsh, as you can imagine. My parents had a bed and the rest of us slept on the floor next to them. The bedroom was the living room and the kitchen too. But we didn’t know any better living, so we survived.

Did you have any interest in music then?
My father had a guitar, he loved music and was in a band. Other than a small transistor radio, the guitar was the only other source of entertainment. I ended up loving music because of that.


How did you advance your music skills?At Eastleigh High School, where I was a student. I became more active in music and that’s how I knew I had the passion. I honed my skills when I finally made it to campus and joined JKUAT to study commerce.


Is this when you formed the music group?Yes, we mainly did backup for established musicians that we never even met.

What do you mean?An established artiste would record a song, then the producer would call us to record back up sounds for the same song, just to make it better. We did this for musicians such as Emmy Kosgey, but we never met her.

Were you paid then?Yes, each person got Sh500 per song.

Wasn’t that too little?Looking at it now, it was too little. But for us then, it was money for rent or just enough to survive. They were harsh times.

Tell me about the song ‘Wanajua’My group Bugg did not do very well so we broke up and I went solo. In 2012, just after I had finished doing my album, I recorded Wanajua with MwenyeHaki for his album, since mine was complete.

But the song only became popular last year...Yes, again, due to lack of good marketing strategies for our music. For a long time, we didn’t know how to push music in the industry, but we are learning now.

So you didn’t form a group with MwenyeHaki?
Lots of people and event organizers thought we were a group. We only did that collabo and that was it.

Was ‘Lingala Ya Yesu’ your next song?Yes, and I had a feeling that Lingala ya Yesu was going to be a hit so I’m not very surprised at how it has been received.

Rumor has it that you are a banker. Is that true?
It’s true. I have been working for Stanchart Bank for the last three years.

(Lingala Ya Yesu - Pitson)

(Pitson One-On-One Interview with Lillian Muli on Citizen TV)

No comments:

Post a Comment