Sunday 15 June 2014

Nakupa - Mercy Njoki "The Wedding Song Factory" #CTA101


Nakupa is a wedding song off the album, plus a couple others. Tell us about this side of "your music", how it was birthed and where you envision it going...
The wedding songs! I have been very pleasantly surprised by the reception of people to the wedding songs. There seems to be a consensus that there aren’t enough people singing “pure” love songs, i.e. songs that don’t have sex or conquests as the end game. I began writing songs as a gift to my friends who were getting married. They would ask me to sing, and I wanted for them to have their OWN song. The more people asked me to sing, the more songs I wrote. The songs were mostly for the bride to walk down the aisle to…why walk to someone else’s song?? Nakupa, was an unplanned song, it was for no-one in particular. It happened that I was singing at one of the wedding fairs that take place in the city; that was when the song came to me. It is a favorite of many, another pleasant surprise! In terms of envisioning, I definitely intend to do a wedding song album; I’m excited at the prospect and the encouragement by many people to do it. I look forward to having brides walk down the aisle to more original songs, their own songs, I think it makes the moment even more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment